Where can I get help?

If you are in immediate danger please call 999.

Alternatively, if you would like assistance from specially trained officers within the Harm Reduction Units in Hertfordshire Constabulary and you are not in immediate danger please call 0845 33 00 222.  If you would like to report an incident confidentially on-line to either a specialist officer or to an independent domestic violence advisor (IDVA) click here.

Should you decide not to contact the police there are also a number of organisations/charities with many years of experience in helping victims of honour based violence and forced marriage.  Please click here for their contact details.

What can I expect if I contact Hertfordshire Constabulary?

You will be taken seriously.

You will be fully risk assessed by officers who have received ‘specialist’ training on the issues. 

All necessary safety planning measures will be put into place.

What should I do if I am concerned that I may be forced into marriage here or overseas?

You can contact the police per the above or the Forced Marriage Unit, which is part of the Home Office.  If you are at school or college you can speak to a teacher or tutor.

If you have concerns contact someone who can help before you travel abroad.  Once overseas you may find it very difficult or impossible to communicate by telephone, letter or e-mail.  You may not have access to your passport or money.  You may not be allowed to leave the house unescorted.  You may find yourself in a remote area and may not receive the assistance you would expect from the local police, neighbours, friends or family.